October 08, 2012

'SNL' Scorecard: Daniel Craig Really Wants You to Think He's Funny


Last year, during the press rounds for "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo," director David Fincher told me that Daniel Craig was quite funny. I took Fincher at his word -- but the thought, Wait, really? did pop into my head at least twice.

As host of "Saturday Night Live," Craig seemed raring to go -- he was practically screaming, "I want to prove to you that I am funny! No, really, I am!" Unfortunately, for the most part, the material just wasn't there. (Put it this way: In the three-year history of "SNL" Scorecard, this is the longest I've just stared at my computer thinking, Well, I guess I have to pick something to be "Sketch of the Night," right?) I hate second-guessing (even though that's what I'm paid to do here, I suppose), but I think the better strategy with Craig might have been to let him play the straight man while absurd things happened around him, as opposed to letting him play the clown. Alas, on to the Scorecard...

Sketch of the Night

"Bond Girls" (Vanessa Bayer, Katie McKinnon, Nasim Pedrad, Daniel Craig, Taran Killam, Fred Armisen) I have never once thought about the concept of an Ellen DeGeneres impression before, but, man, that was a great Ellen DeGeneres impression. In the end, however, this was another, "Who can do what impression?" sketch, in which the impression -- "Oh, I can do Annie Hall" -- are shoehorned in to fit the sketch. The impressions were great; the concept was a bit of a stretch. But, yep, it was that kind of show. So, ladies and gentleman, your "Sketch of the Night."

No comments:

Post a Comment